Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hunters: All of this affects you too!

This could be a multi-posting... I have started to write this 3 or 4 times and it just seems to get lengthy each time.

I have been speaking with a lot of folks about RTC and the 2nd Amendment in general lately and I keep getting a lot of blank stares from hunters. First off, let me say that I hunt also, it helps keep food on the table and is another way to spend time with my son in the outdoors. Of course, I also shoot at a lot of paper or steel targets, maintain defensive firearms and am around a Gunsmith training course daily. Basically, guns are a part of my daily life, so perhaps it's just easier for me to see what's going on in the state due to my level of exposure to guns and gun owners.

But, back to the hunters. I was having a conversation with a buddy who hunts deer and turkey every year and doesn't do much shooting outside of that; I was discussing the RTC bill and other legislation and he didn't seem much affected by any of it. I was at a bit of a loss, so later I asked a few different folks how they might go about explaining to hunters that things such as the FOID/privacy issue, magazine bans and an "assault weapons" ban would affect them.

One of my favorites was by reminding hunters that the anti-gun crowd wants to chip away at rights....first it would be high capacity magazines, then "assault weapons". At this point the antis wouldn't see their huge drop in crime, so they'd go after semi-auto pistols and shotguns, then tube fed lever actions since they hold so many rounds (oh, the horror).

Earlier today, I was pointed to an NRA Legislative Fact Sheet detailing some of the guns that would be banned by HB-1294. Guess what? Many of the guns affected by this bill are turkey/deer guns, to include two versions of the Remington 1187 shotgun. You'll find a preview of this Fact Sheet below....please, please, please print it out and hand a few to local hunters and gun shops!

Folks, I'm telling you: Get the hunters behind RTC and other pro 2A legislation and there is no contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment